IndexProfielRegistrerenHelpActive TopicsSearch Inloggen
Index / Heavy Metal Nieuw Topic Post Reply
Dit topic is 7 pagina's lang: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Auteur:
Topic : Boris (JAP) Vorige pagina | Volgende pagina
Black Jew
Metallic Blond
Usericon van Black Jew
Posted 28-10-2008 23:06 by Black Jew Wijzig reactieProfiel van Black JewQuote dit berichthttp://050

Greg Anderson

IMA LETCHU GET A SHOT BUT IMA GO FIRRS PUT IN REVERSE LEMME SEE YUH FOOTWORK

Dirge for november
Ik zeg: Doom!
Usericon van Dirge for november
Posted 15-04-2009 17:17 by Dirge for november (Redacteur) Wijzig reactieProfiel van Dirge for novemberQuote dit bericht

Wat is eigenlijk het meest Sludgy album van Boris? Ik heb Absolutego en Pink

Hypnos
Godmadeself
Usericon van Hypnos
Posted 15-04-2009 19:42 by Hypnos (Hoofdredacteur) Wijzig reactieProfiel van HypnosQuote dit bericht

Dronevil

signature

Dirge for november
Posted 16-04-2009 10:46 by Dirge for november (Redacteur) Wijzig reactieProfiel van Dirge for novemberQuote dit bericht

Bedankt.
En dat is niet zoals de naam suggereert drone in de stijl van absolutego? Want dan pass ik.

Hypnos
Godmadeself
Usericon van Hypnos
Posted 16-04-2009 10:52 by Hypnos (Hoofdredacteur) Wijzig reactieProfiel van HypnosQuote dit bericht

nee hoor

trouwens, het zijn twee platen (cds), en je moet ze eigenlijk tegelijk afspelen, maar hoeft niet persé

You NEED Two Stereos - 95%
Written by orphicGLOW on February 3rd, 2009

*Note - This is a review of Dronevil - Final-*
*Note 2 - Man, you really gotta hear this on two stereos*

So Boris. When this slab of unruly heaviness first came out, I was a young and impressionable high school kid who had a penchant for most things Heavy. I started my journey with Pelican (S/T), Bongzilla (Gateway), and Electric Wizard (Dopethrone). I can clearly remember my first spins of each, and my innate reactions to each. They are burned in memory. Bands like the aforementioned, along with Isis, Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Neurosis, SunnO))), Earth, HoF, Cathedral, Warhorse, Om, YOB, Sleep, Clutch, the Melvins, and then eventually.. Boris.

I had heard of Boris while on my drone journey, getting caught up in the likes of Sunn 0))) and Earth (keep in mind this was White2/pre-Hex era), and had heard that these Japanese heavyweights made some of the densest, heaviest, and most fucked up music this side of Golgotha. Being the young and impressionable one that I was, this piqued my interest. After months of scouring the internet for reviews, soundsamples, and any info whatsoever about Boris, I came across a wonderful program named SoulSeek which let me in on most of the fun that I had seemed to be missing out on. We'll keep this short and move on to the actual review. I found Absolustego, listened to it, freaked out, then downloaded Dronevil (the original release).

Now, during my stints scouring every web page on stonerrock.com and the general internet for any info on this album, I found out probably the coolest thing I had heard being done in the drone "scene" (I hate that word). 2 records, one being drone the other being evil, played simultaneously. I thought to myself "I have to hear this!". It later became a reality, however sadly not on vinyl.

Dronevil -Final- is basically the exact same as Dronevil, with the addition of one track on each half (Loose, and Red). Now, you can listen to both on their own, or you can mix them. This review will be of the mixed version.

Loose/Red.
This is a very quiet, almost sombre introduction. Wata delicately plucks her notes on a clean, reverbed guitar, while bass notes fade in and cymbals shimmer around you. The entire piece creates a very mellow vibe, while the cymbals and a high-pitched tone make up the droning segment of the music. Near the end we hear the distinction finally between sides Drone and Evil, as the drums go into a slow, steady beat and the guitar and bass work together, creating a very Hex-esque vibe.. even before Hex was released. The last 2 minutes really help to build the anticipation to the next track, with very very lightly overdriven chords taking away the song, until everything fades out but the high-pitched drone.

Giddiness Throne/Evil Wave Form.
Alright, enough goofing off. Evil Wave Form gets right down to business with a thickly distorted 3 note riff starting us off, while Giddiness Throne in all it's guitar feedback, amplifier-worshipping glory makes the atmosphere that much thicker. The anticipation is now building, as bass feedback and percussion begin to make themselves heard, edging between loud and soft, tricking you into thinking they're going to take off into complete doom-laden riffdom. But not quite, as it's only been 3 minutes, and only just now are things beginning to even somewhat show themselves. It isn't until 5:20 that the whole thing implodes upon itself. Huge, massive, sludge-filled riffs dominate the spectrum, while drums plod along behind and the bass rumbles and grooves and shakes the whole damn building down with it.

7 minutes in and we're treated with a cool kind of post-rock guitar solo thing, but the heavy ass fuck groove hasn't been forgotten by the rhythm section. It all starts to fall apart and dissipate and then right at a quarter to 9 minutes, we're given solace from the bludgeoning. A clean, delayed guitar delivers us into the light, while wind and other sounds begin to pick up in the background. The atmosphere gets thicker and thicker, the tension rising with it. The guitar takes a backseat as the atmosphere begins to pick up more rapidly, as rising and falling synths/feedback dominate.

A moment of fear arises as the clean guitar completely drops away for moments, leaving you with just pure sound until.. BANG. The whole motherfucking thing takes off again, this time with a HUGE bass tone guiding everything. I mean huge. Melvins. The guitar freaks out for a few moments, until another mammoth riff breaks loose, and more guitar freakout occurs. Seriously. Melvins.

Interference Demon/The Evil One Which Sobs.
This starts out similar to the way Loose/Red started, only it gets to it much quicker. A quiet, slightly overdriven arpeggio opens up the track, with whirring and feedback eating away at your brain for a bit. It all begins to build up, with guitar strumming and more intense feedback, until we get another Boris-patented explosion. This time they hammer on one chord with all the unruly might they can muster until they decide we've had enough. The drums keep on going, and the guitar repeats that intro arpeggio, but only this time nice and fuzzy. This continues on, building in volume and distortion, until at 7:20 there is a very sad, melancholic, almost hopeless heavy feeling emitted from the guitarsound. This is quite possibly the most epic moment on the whole journey, and it lasts for a solid few minutes. After we're offered respite, as everything begins to fade away, slowly and slowly, until all that's left is guitar feedback. It drones on and on for what seems like eternity, morphing into a high-pitched squeal. A slowly played acoustic guitar delivers us from the storm.. side Drone cuts out.. and the acoustic guitar directs us back into a daily course of life..

Now, I'm going to say this again. It comes with 2 CD's (or LP's) that are meant to be PLAYED TOGETHER. You must experience this. The dynamic play between both recordings is phenomenal, almost on par with the Times of Grace/Grace mix by Neurosis.

And to finally cap off this review, let me say a few words. When I got into the stoner scene, discovering bands like EW, Bongzilla, and Boris were literally magical moments. I didn't know what I was getting into, but I knew it was awesome. My only wish however, is that the magic from a few years ago returns, and Boris stops making albums like Smile.

Sorry for rambling, listen to this record, smoke weed.

signature

Dirge for november
Posted 17-04-2009 22:40 by Dirge for november (Redacteur) Wijzig reactieProfiel van Dirge for novemberQuote dit bericht

Bedankt voor de lap info! Erg cool idee om het op die manier uit te brengen!
Ik neem aan dat als ik zoek op dronevil op internet (om even te horen of het wat is) het de gecombineerde versie is?
Cheers

Hypnos
Godmadeself
Usericon van Hypnos
Posted 17-04-2009 22:44 by Hypnos (Hoofdredacteur) Wijzig reactieProfiel van HypnosQuote dit bericht

er zijn verschillende versies op het net ja

net als die keer met Neurosis en Tribe of Neurot of Jarboe (geen super)fan trouwens

signature

bokaj
Usericon van bokaj
Posted 25-02-2011 4:05 by bokaj Wijzig reactieProfiel van bokajQuote dit bericht

Godver. Na een vrij rustig 2010 staan er voor 2011 3 albums en nog een collaboratie met Merzbow in de planning.

intothevoid
Usericon van intothevoid
Posted 25-02-2011 10:45 by intothevoid Wijzig reactieProfiel van intothevoidQuote dit bericht

Hmm, na Akuma No Uta hebben ze weinig meer uitgebracht dat me kon boeien (afgezien van Altar). Ben benieuwd, maar ergens verwacht ik dat ook dit gaat tegenvallen. Van de Merzbow compilaties ben ik sowieso niet echt.
Raar eigenlijk, sinds ze live tegenvielen heb ik nauwelijks meer iets van ze geluisterd hoewel vooral de eerste platen gruwelijk zijn.

You have time. You are doing fine.

Hypnos
Godmadeself
Usericon van Hypnos
Posted 25-02-2011 12:13 by Hypnos (Hoofdredacteur) Wijzig reactieProfiel van HypnosQuote dit bericht

vielen ze bij jou tegen?

ik heb ze gezien in voorprogramma van Sunn o))) en ze waren echt poly en sterk buzzend

signature

KHPLF
Usericon van KHPLF
Posted 25-02-2011 14:19 by KHPLF Wijzig reactieProfiel van KHPLFQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 25 februari 2011 4:05 schreef bokaj het volgende:
Godver. Na een vrij rustig 2010 staan er voor 2011 3 albums en nog een collaboratie met Merzbow in de planning.

Die trashy J-pop dance plaat kun je dus wel overslaan.

bokaj
Usericon van bokaj
Posted 25-02-2011 21:56 by bokaj Wijzig reactieProfiel van bokajQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 25 februari 2011 10:45 schreef intothevoid het volgende:
Hmm, na Akuma No Uta hebben ze weinig meer uitgebracht dat me kon boeien (afgezien van Altar). Ben benieuwd, maar ergens verwacht ik dat ook dit gaat tegenvallen. Van de Merzbow compilaties ben ik sowieso niet echt.
Raar eigenlijk, sinds ze live tegenvielen heb ik nauwelijks meer iets van ze geluisterd hoewel vooral de eerste platen gruwelijk zijn.
Nog nooit live gezien, maar het nieuwe werk vind ik ook goed. Waarom viel het tegen, teveel nieuwere nummers?

quote:
Op 25 februari 2011 14:19 schreef KHPLF het volgende:
Die trashy J-pop dance plaat kun je dus wel overslaan.
Welke is dat? Komt daar het nummer Home vanaf? Als die gitariste zingt ben ik sowieso fan.

Vargen666
Niet de bassiste van Sigh
Usericon van Vargen666
Posted 25-02-2011 21:58 by Vargen666 Wijzig reactieProfiel van Vargen666Quote dit berichthttp://www.facebook.com/ultravargen

Wat? J-pop? *Zet op lijstje uit te checken*

bokaj
Usericon van bokaj
Posted 25-02-2011 22:01 by bokaj Wijzig reactieProfiel van bokajQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 25 februari 2011 21:58 schreef Vargen666 het volgende:
Wat? J-pop? *Zet op lijstje uit te checken*
Heb je dat nummer al gecheckt wat ik jou laatst aanraadde? Nog een keer dan.

Vargen666
Niet de bassiste van Sigh
Usericon van Vargen666
Posted 25-02-2011 22:02 by Vargen666 Wijzig reactieProfiel van Vargen666Quote dit berichthttp://www.facebook.com/ultravargen

Dat is geen j-pop.

KHPLF
Usericon van KHPLF
Posted 25-02-2011 22:05 by KHPLF Wijzig reactieProfiel van KHPLFQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 25 februari 2011 21:56 schreef bokaj het volgende:
Welke is dat? Komt daar het nummer Home vanaf? Als die gitariste zingt ben ik sowieso fan.

Dat album met die psychedelische kuthoes, geloof dat het een Jap. only release is.

bokaj
Usericon van bokaj
Posted 25-02-2011 22:58 by bokaj Wijzig reactieProfiel van bokajQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 25 februari 2011 22:05 schreef KHPLF het volgende:
Dat album met die psychedelische kuthoes, geloof dat het een Jap. only release is.
New Album? http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=295312

Op MA staat een ander label dan op de boriswebsite. Hmmmm de speellijst lijkt wel op elkaar. Het zou kunnen dat het twee versies zijn van hetzelfde album, hebben ze met Smile ook gedaan.

KHPLF
Usericon van KHPLF
Posted 25-02-2011 23:04 by KHPLF Wijzig reactieProfiel van KHPLFQuote dit bericht

Jua.

Op DFFD stond er iig een link naar een preview-nummer ergens.

bokaj
Usericon van bokaj
Posted 25-02-2011 23:06 by bokaj Wijzig reactieProfiel van bokajQuote dit bericht

Ja, dat was 'Home'.

Komt op beide albums. Ik zat dus mis met die 3 albums.

[Dit bericht is gewijzigd door bokaj op 25-02-2011 23:08]

KHPLF
Usericon van KHPLF
Posted 25-02-2011 23:08 by KHPLF Wijzig reactieProfiel van KHPLFQuote dit bericht

Ok, sorry voor de consternatie .

karnivoor
Usericon van karnivoor
Posted 26-02-2011 11:20 by karnivoor Wijzig reactieProfiel van karnivoorQuote dit berichthttp://www.kanker.nl/

M'n Pink shirtje begint vaal te worden.

Je moeder.

intothevoid
Usericon van intothevoid
Posted 26-02-2011 13:49 by intothevoid Wijzig reactieProfiel van intothevoidQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 25 februari 2011 21:56 schreef bokaj het volgende:
Nog nooit live gezien, maar het nieuwe werk vind ik ook goed. Waarom viel het tegen, teveel nieuwere nummers?

Ongeïnspireerde indruk op het podium, spelen op de automatische piloot. Setlist was an sich nog best aardig.

You have time. You are doing fine.

Black Jew
Metallic Blond
Usericon van Black Jew
Posted 03-03-2011 9:23 by Black Jew Wijzig reactieProfiel van Black JewQuote dit berichthttp://050

NIEUWE PLAAT MET MERZBOW IS UIT. "klatter" beetje vage titel.

IMA LETCHU GET A SHOT BUT IMA GO FIRRS PUT IN REVERSE LEMME SEE YUH FOOTWORK

holysjit
Usericon van holysjit
Posted 03-03-2011 9:51 by holysjit Wijzig reactieProfiel van holysjitQuote dit berichthttp://www.ragherrie.com

Volgens Metal Archives brengen ze in 2011 maar liefst vier albums uit:

- Boris - Klatter
- Boris - New Album
- Boris - Attention Please
- Boris - Heavy Rocks

bastianus
Usericon van bastianus
Posted 03-03-2011 9:51 by bastianus Wijzig reactieProfiel van bastianusQuote dit bericht

Saaie titel, new album.

Het radicale feminisme is niet eens een lachnummer meer: het is een karikatuur van een parodie op een klucht.

Dit topic is 7 pagina's lang: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Index / Heavy Metal Active topics Nieuw topic Post reply Vorige pagina | Volgende pagina
http://www.zwaremetalen.com