|The Crypt has Eyes|
|Posted 13-01-2003 20:54 by Legatius
Terwijl het hier nu toch over Impaled Nazarene gaat... ik heb Mika ooit eens naar aanleiding van het nieuwe album geïnterviewd en er is hier en daar een vleugje sarcasme te bespeuren:
/As a fan, first of all everybody is a fan in this scene, how do you consider the actual scene?
- Just like any other music genre, there are a couple of very great bands and then there are thousands of copycats and total shit bands without their own imagination or skills.
2/If you wouldn't be a member of Impaled Nazarene, but a true I.N. fan what would you like the most about I.N.? What would be the first thing you notice? And if you wouldn't be in a band, what would you be doing all day?
- If I wasn´t in the band, I am sure I would have blown my brains out long time ago. If I was a fan of us, well, I guess I would appreciate the fact that nobody else sounds like I.N. does and that I.N. has managed to continue so long without wimping out.
3/How should the 'new' fans look up to I.N.? Or is it just "Fuck the new fans!'?
- Of course it is NOT fuck the new fans. There are people who f.ex. only prefer Latex Cult and Rapture period of our band. Every band needs to have new fans as well (who hopefully will then explore the back catalogue as well) as without them, the sales of our albums would be in decline!!!!
4/Can I say I.N. used some more melodic heavy metal influenced parts in "The absence of ..."? Also some rock 'n roll (like f.i. 'Hardboiled and still hellbound' and 'Via Dolorosa')?
- Yes you can. We mainly grew up with Venom, Exciter and Sodom but we of course listened (and still do) "classic" heavy metal bands like Judas Priest, Accept, Tank etc etc. Motörhead is probably the only band that we all listen all the time and you can hear their influence on our rock´n´roll songs easily!
5/What would you say or do to someone who comes up and says "Impaled Nazarene sucks big time!"?
- Nothing. People are entitled to think whatever their want to. We still are one of the most hated bands in this genre and it actually makes me proud. We are like a shit stain, we just want fade away.
6/Did I.N. turn out the way you wanted it to turn out? Did you ever think during the demo-times that I.N. would become so 'big'?
- We are not big at all. Our combined sales (not including the new one) are a bit over 150000 of six albums so it ain´t that much. I never had a plan how we must turn out, we just happened to start our band at the right period of time and we were lucky enough to score a deal with a label who are not ripping off their artists. We basically do as we please and either you get it or not, we don´t give a shit.
7/In 1995 you played with Absu? Did you get along, have some beers? How would you describe them?
- It was a nice tour really. We are still in touch with Absu guys, cool guys. We partied every nite like no tomorrow!
8/Can you remeber a gig when you said: "Damn, this was fuckn great!"
- There are couple of them for sure. Tokyo 1999, Mexico City 1998, Koria Roll Open Air 2001 etc.
9/What would be your reaction if someone comes up to you and says "I've committed a murder in the name of Impaled Nazarene!!"?
- That would be fucking pathetic. I cannot stand today´s society where nobody takes responsbility of their own actions. Everybody is blaming somebody else or something else, be it music, books, movies or whatever. I would tell the person to fuck off and get a life!
10/Your ultimate artistic/creative dream?
- To be the biggest selling artist of this planet...
11/Why should one listen to "The Absence of war..."?
- Because of the following facts: 1. Great production. 2. Excellent songs. 3. Godly vocals and lyrics. 4. We need money!
12/Can you tell us something more about some songs seperately? F.i 'The madness behind'(which is one of the best of the album), and 'Never forgive'?
- The Madness Behind, well, I wrote the music and the lyrics. The main riff dates back to 1996, it was supposed to be used for latex Cult but I just figure out how to compose it properly. So, it was long time coming and then in summer 2000 it just suddenly clicked. The lyrics are very in-your-face fuck off statement to my x-wife! Never Forgive was written by our drummer, we decided to use keyboards once again to spice it up a bit. It seems to be one of the fave songs in everybody´s opinion. Lyrically it is about revenge and never turning the other cheeck, no matter what!!!
13/Did you ever think: "damn, this is the end for Impaled Nazarene"?
- Yes, when we crashed our car into mountain in New Zealand. That fucking accident freaked me out totally. Anyway, we survided!
14/Emperor's finished. Your reaction? Or don't you care, hehe?
- It´s a shame really. But I must say I find their new album really boring avant garde "metal". Trym is a great guy, we got along totally!
He likes to drink and so do I!
15/extra: I'll try to interview Carpathian Forest. Do you have any questions for them? I'll ask them if they have any questions for Impaled Nazarene? This might be interesting.
- I have never heard of their music so I cannot really figure out anything clever here. Ask this: Are their ever happy???????????????
Thanks for your time.
Je kan me de bout hachelen!