IndexProfielRegistrerenHelpActive TopicsSearch Inloggen
Index / Heavy Metal Nieuw Topic Post Reply
Dit topic is 26 pagina's lang: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Auteur:
Topic : Mastodon Vorige pagina | Volgende pagina
Mark
Better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
Usericon van Mark
Posted 04-02-2005 14:50 by Mark Wijzig reactieProfiel van MarkQuote dit bericht

Tja, begrijp me niet verkeerd hoor, ik vind Leviathan een lekkere CD na een paar luisterbeurten, maar om hem nou nummer 2 (of zoiets?) te laten eindigen in de ZM jaarlijst en volgens mij zelfs nr.1 in de Aardschok, dat vind ik toch wel een beetje veel van het goede...

She went and she left me like litter. She took all future summers with her. I lost all my money cuz I tried to bribe her. Now I can only afford an amateur sniper.

Tormented soul
Usericon van Tormented soul
Posted 04-02-2005 15:05 by Tormented soul Wijzig reactieProfiel van Tormented soulQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 4 februari 2005 14:50 schreef Mark het volgende:
Tja, begrijp me niet verkeerd hoor, ik vind Leviathan een lekkere CD na een paar luisterbeurten, maar om hem nou nummer 2 (of zoiets?) te laten eindigen in de ZM jaarlijst en volgens mij zelfs nr.1 in de Aardschok, dat vind ik toch wel een beetje veel van het goede...

nr 2 in de Aardschok (Neurosis op 1).

En ik ben het met je eens. Leuke plaat met bijzondere momentenen meer afwisseling maar lang niet zo goed als Remission of lifesblood.

Spirit In Black
Usericon van Spirit In Black
Posted 04-02-2005 15:06 by Spirit In Black Wijzig reactieProfiel van Spirit In BlackQuote dit bericht

Neurosis op 1 is opmerkelijker dan Mastodon dat zou zijn....

btw niks nr. 1 in zm-lijst...hij staat op nr. 10

http://www.zwaremetalen.com/nieuws/3736.html

[Dit bericht is gewijzigd door Spirit In Black op 04-02-2005 15:12]

Mark
Better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
Usericon van Mark
Posted 04-02-2005 15:33 by Mark Wijzig reactieProfiel van MarkQuote dit bericht

Oh, dat valt nog mee dan, om de een of andere reden meende ik me te herinneren dat-ie hoger in de ZM lijst stond. 10e klinkt me wel redelijk in de oren

She went and she left me like litter. She took all future summers with her. I lost all my money cuz I tried to bribe her. Now I can only afford an amateur sniper.

Chelman
Krijg de bloemetjes
Usericon van Chelman
Posted 15-02-2005 18:19 by Chelman Wijzig reactieProfiel van ChelmanQuote dit bericht

quote:

Leviathan 2004 Relapse

Mastodon's first EP, Lifesblood, had so completely failed to impress me that I had no recollection of the band's sound other than a dim memory of being slightly annoyed by its utter lack of distinction. As such, my expectations weren't very high when I embarked on the discovery of this pelagic concept album, and I must say the band didn't disappoint on this count: they are exactly as mediocre and prodigiously unremarkable as I thought they would be. At the risk of exposing myself to flurries of misspelled hate email in all caps, I shall now elaborate on why that is the case.

But let's stop for a moment and describe the music as best I can, lest I get chastised for my lackadaisical dismissal of a very popular album. The songs are essentially hoarsely-bellowed, semi-technical, relatively fast post-Sabbath sludge thrash/death with a lot (and I mean a LOT) of drum fills. The influence of early 1990s rock/metal sensibilities is clearly apparent here and there, and the band has clearly listened to a lot of classic metal, as evidenced by their (ugly) Gibson SG rhythm guitar tone and harmonized lead lines. I also suspect Pestilence got some airplay during the musicians' formative years.

In principle, there's nothing wrong with that combination of influences and styles, and the album could very well be quite enjoyable. Alas, quite the opposite is true. First of all, that singer has one of the worst set of pipes in the business. I'm all for hoarse vocals when they fit the music (Isis, for example, sounds perfect with hoarse shoutgruntbellowyells) and when the vocal delivery itself is compelling. But this guy just sounds like an old lush with strep throat, and you get the feeling the band elected to have hoarse vocals because everybody else is doing that right now, so why exercise a bit of creativity and come up with something else when the default settings work well enough, eh?

And what about that oh-so-great drummer who seems to make every metal fan's underwear all twisty and soggy? Well, he's quite simply the epitome of tasteless overplaying: every single thing he does is a fill, and he leaves absolutely no breathing space in the music at all, thereby completely stripping the songs of any sense of dynamics they may have if he didn't play so damn much. He's the drum equivalent of an all-night Yngwie Malmsteen solo jam session, without any of the fiery brilliance Yngwie is (or used to be) capable of mustering on occasion.

The songs themselves wouldn't be so terrible if it weren't for their excessive repetitiveness ("I am Ahab") or the fact that other people in Seattle wrote the same vocal lines 10 years ago, and they weren't all that to begin with ("Seabeast"). If that weren't enough, the album's production is teeth-gnashingly hideous, with shrill rhythm guitars, trebley drums and underprocessed lead guitar sounds. A raw, organic production can be wonderful, but this is definitely not the kind of album that benefits from grainy lead guitar sounds, particularly not in harmonies.

Every one of this album's ten plodding songs is a monument to the undistinguished, and the record as a whole reaches previously uncharted heights of middling mediocrity. Once again, Relapse brilliantly confirms their inability to release a single album worth listening to. A complete waste of time and airwaves, and best avoided with all your might.

Hehe. Een leuke review. Ik deel de mening van de schrijver niet helemaal, maar het is wel een leuke kijk van 'de andere kant'.

KOSOVO JE SRBIJA! SVETA SRPSKA ZEMLJA !

Spirit In Black
Posted 16-02-2005 19:41 by Spirit In Black Wijzig reactieProfiel van Spirit In BlackQuote dit bericht

Deze ben ik ook ergens tegen gekomen. Tja, dat je plaat niet trekt okay, Dat het niet je ding is, ook okay.

Het hele Relapse label afbranden als ware het een incompetent geheel is natuurlijk nonsens. Negeren die gast.

she_devil
too true to be true
Usericon van she_devil
Posted 16-02-2005 20:37 by she_devil Wijzig reactieProfiel van she_devilQuote dit berichthttp://shedevil.wiebel.nl

er zitten er een paar shows samen met napalm death aan te komen hoorde ik...

wait for me dragon, we'll meet in the sky

Spirit In Black
Posted 16-02-2005 20:46 by Spirit In Black Wijzig reactieProfiel van Spirit In BlackQuote dit bericht

Vrijdag 13-05 Napalm Death - Tivoli

Chelman
Krijg de bloemetjes
Usericon van Chelman
Posted 17-02-2005 10:05 by Chelman Wijzig reactieProfiel van ChelmanQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 16 februari 2005 19:41 schreef Spirit In Black het volgende:
Deze ben ik ook ergens tegen gekomen. Tja, dat je plaat niet trekt okay, Dat het niet je ding is, ook okay.

Het hele Relapse label afbranden als ware het een incompetent geheel is natuurlijk nonsens. Negeren die gast.

Nou. Deze review komt van SSMT en dat vind ik toch een van de betere en amusantere review sites.

KOSOVO JE SRBIJA! SVETA SRPSKA ZEMLJA !

Jenje
The power of the riff compels me
Usericon van Jenje
Posted 17-02-2005 10:20 by Jenje (Speciaal lid) Wijzig reactieProfiel van JenjeQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 17 februari 2005 10:05 schreef Chelman het volgende:
Nou. Deze review komt van SSMT en dat vind ik toch een van de betere en amusantere review sites.
Is leuk om te lezen, maar kwalitatieve inhoud heeft het niet ... label aanvallen op een band is tamelijk zinloos. En is duidelijk door iemand geschreven die sowieso al niet van combinaties van stijlen houd, en die dan ook niet persoonlijke smaak buiten zijn review kan houden.

ghoulliette
Usericon van ghoulliette
Posted 17-02-2005 12:18 by ghoulliette Wijzig reactieProfiel van ghoullietteQuote dit bericht

Wat ik troouwens wel storend vind is dat Kerrang!! zo overduidelijk Mastodon's kont loopt te kussen. Als je persoonlijke smaak teveel in de weg gaat staan van een objectieve beoordeling is dat verkeerd. Of dat nu in positieve zin is (zoals bij Kerrang) of in negatieve zin (bij flipske hierboven) het heeft gewoon weinig toegevoegde waarde.

Frietbal
Usericon van Frietbal
Posted 17-02-2005 12:53 by Frietbal Wijzig reactieProfiel van FrietbalQuote dit bericht

Ik snap de ophef over deze band niet.
Middelmatig bandje......niet meer, niet minder. <-- punt

jbassist
Say It With Jb.
Usericon van jbassist
Posted 21-02-2005 12:37 by jbassist Wijzig reactieProfiel van jbassistQuote dit bericht

quote:
Op 17 februari 2005 12:53 schreef Frietbal het volgende:
Ik snap de ophef over deze band niet.
Middelmatig bandje......niet meer, niet minder. <-- punt

mwha... als dit een middelmatige band is, wat vind jij dan goed?

en ik vond ze op dynamo trouwes naast slayer de beste band van de dag. die drummer is fucking geniaal, en als je eens goed naar die cd luisterd (vooral remission) is het ook zeker niet doeloos geroffel.

"BONKE! next time you fuck in my bathroom, fucking throw the condoms into the toilet! not in or on top of the goddamn sink...."

ghoulliette
Usericon van ghoulliette
Posted 09-03-2005 23:40 by ghoulliette Wijzig reactieProfiel van ghoullietteQuote dit bericht

MASTODON To Support IRON MAIDEN In Europe - Mar. 8, 2005

MASTODON are on the verge of securing the support slot on IRON MAIDEN's summer tour in Europe, informed sources have told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. MASTODON also in talks to play the Roskilde festival, set to take place June 30-July 3 in Roskilde, Denmark. Also scheduled to perform at the festival are BLACK SABBATH, AUDIOSLAVE and GREEN DAY, among others.

As previously reported, MASTODON recently completed work on the second music video from their award-winning album, "Leviathan".

The video, for the song "Blood and Thunder", was shot on location at the Star Bar in the band's hometown of Atlanta, GA. Produced and directed by Jonathan Rej (MAN OR ASTROMAN, FURTHER SEEMS FOREVER, STRETCH ARMSTRONG) for Authority Films, the new MASTODON video is expected to be conceptual in nature, with a "top-secret" treatment and storyline that, "is far-and-away different than most any modern day music video". MASTODON's "Blood and Thunder" is expected to make its world network premiere(s) imminently.

Currently in the midst of a headlining tour of Europe, MASTODON will launch their first U.S. headlining tour of 2005 on March 23 at the House of Blues in New Orleans, LA.

Immortella
Only the good die young!
Usericon van Immortella
Posted 09-03-2005 23:43 by Immortella Wijzig reactieProfiel van ImmortellaQuote dit bericht

´t Zou toch leuk zijn wanneer ze dit ook op Bospop zouden doen. De zondag kan nog wel een aantal leuke bands gebruiken .

..."Hate can only create more hate"...

ghoulliette
Usericon van ghoulliette
Posted 09-03-2005 23:55 by ghoulliette Wijzig reactieProfiel van ghoullietteQuote dit bericht

Ze komen op Bospop, Graspop en Fields of Rock, althans dat gaat er rond.

Snaack
Usericon van Snaack
Posted 09-03-2005 23:56 by Snaack Wijzig reactieProfiel van SnaackQuote dit bericht

wat heb jij met Mastodon eigelijk, Ghoul? Een keer een goede beurt van die jongens gehad ofzo?

ghoulliette
Usericon van ghoulliette
Posted 10-03-2005 10:10 by ghoulliette Wijzig reactieProfiel van ghoullietteQuote dit bericht

whaha nee, wel 3 cd's (oke 5 als je de verschillende versies meetelt) en 2 Lp's....

mag dat ook?

ryn
God-forsaken?
Usericon van ryn
Posted 10-03-2005 11:21 by ryn Wijzig reactieProfiel van rynQuote dit berichthttp://www.myspace.com/rienus

ha! ze komen ook op rock am ring! meshuggah ook trouwens

the blueprint of sin: www.controlhumandelete.com

Mutilator
SPILL YER GUTS !!!!!! (Extra gore mod)
Usericon van Mutilator
Posted 10-03-2005 19:32 by Mutilator (Moderator) Wijzig reactieProfiel van MutilatorQuote dit berichthttp://wp.livereviewer.com/

quote:
Op 9 maart 2005 23:40 schreef ghoulliette het volgende:
MASTODON To Support IRON MAIDEN In Europe - Mar. 8, 2005

MASTODON are on the verge of securing the support slot on IRON MAIDEN's summer tour in Europe, informed sources have told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. MASTODON also in talks to play the Roskilde festival, set to take place June 30-July 3 in Roskilde, Denmark. Also scheduled to perform at the festival are BLACK SABBATH, AUDIOSLAVE and GREEN DAY, among others.

As previously reported, MASTODON recently completed work on the second music video from their award-winning album, "Leviathan".

The video, for the song "Blood and Thunder", was shot on location at the Star Bar in the band's hometown of Atlanta, GA. Produced and directed by Jonathan Rej (MAN OR ASTROMAN, FURTHER SEEMS FOREVER, STRETCH ARMSTRONG) for Authority Films, the new MASTODON video is expected to be conceptual in nature, with a "top-secret" treatment and storyline that, "is far-and-away different than most any modern day music video". MASTODON's "Blood and Thunder" is expected to make its world network premiere(s) imminently.

Currently in the midst of a headlining tour of Europe, MASTODON will launch their first U.S. headlining tour of 2005 on March 23 at the House of Blues in New Orleans, LA.

Wat is dit nou voor rare package? Of vergis ik me en zitten veel Iron Maiden fans te wachten op een band as Mastodon

The quality of our perceptions determines the quality of our judgement. Our judgement determines how we interact with the world. How we interact with the world changes the world. So, the quality of our perceptions changes the world.

VivaHate
Ik haat Oi!
Usericon van VivaHate
Posted 10-03-2005 19:45 by VivaHate Wijzig reactieProfiel van VivaHateQuote dit bericht

rare package ja, ik zit persoonlijk niet bepaald op Iron Maiden te wachten...

We don't take it, we just fake it...

Mutilator
SPILL YER GUTS !!!!!! (Extra gore mod)
Usericon van Mutilator
Posted 10-03-2005 19:58 by Mutilator (Moderator) Wijzig reactieProfiel van MutilatorQuote dit berichthttp://wp.livereviewer.com/

quote:
Op 10 maart 2005 19:45 schreef VivaHate het volgende:
rare package ja, ik zit persoonlijk niet bepaald op Iron Maiden te wachten...

Dat hoeft ook niet want na Mastodon kan je natuurlijk naar huis.

The quality of our perceptions determines the quality of our judgement. Our judgement determines how we interact with the world. How we interact with the world changes the world. So, the quality of our perceptions changes the world.

ghoulliette
Usericon van ghoulliette
Posted 27-03-2005 23:42 by ghoulliette Wijzig reactieProfiel van ghoullietteQuote dit bericht

Spirit In Black
Posted 27-03-2005 23:45 by Spirit In Black Wijzig reactieProfiel van Spirit In BlackQuote dit bericht

count me in

ghoulliette
Usericon van ghoulliette
Posted 27-03-2005 23:48 by ghoulliette Wijzig reactieProfiel van ghoullietteQuote dit bericht

je poster viel gister in de smaak trouwens, velen wilde hem wel hebben, maar heb 'm beschermd tot een uur of 12

Dit topic is 26 pagina's lang: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Index / Heavy Metal Active topics Nieuw topic Post reply Vorige pagina | Volgende pagina
http://www.zwaremetalen.com